There are many First Nations-led organisations in Australia working in community, regional and national settings.
These organisations may be useful for establishing or consulting on broader community benefits schemes.
National Peak Organisations
The Coalition of Peaks is made up of national, state and territory Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community-controlled peak and member organisations across Australia, representing some 800 organisations. Find their members here.
The First Nations Heritage Protection Alliance is a coalition of member organisations representing First Nations Peoples from across Australia, including major Native Title, Land Rights, Traditional Owner, and community-controlled organisations nationally. Find their members here.
The National Native Title Council is the peak body for the native title sector made up of regional Native Title Representative Bodies (NTRBs), Native Title Service Providers (NTSPs), local Prescribed Body Corporates (PBC)s and Traditional Owner Corporations (TOCs). Find their members here.
Other national organisations and peak bodies
- Australian Indigenous Doctors' Association (AIDA)
- The Congress of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives (CATSINaM)
- First Languages Australia
- First Nations Media Australia
- First Peoples Disability Network Australia (FPDN)
- Gayaa Dhuwi
- Indigenous Allied Health Australia
- Lowitja Institute
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Housing Association (NATSIHA)
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Services
- National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO)
- National Association of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Workers and Practitioners
- National Family Violence Prevention and Legal Services Forum
- SNAICC – National Voice for Our Children
- The Healing Foundation
State / Territory Peak Organisations
Australian Capital Territory
The ACT Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Elected Body represents Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people living in Canberra. The Elected Body also has a unique responsibility as the only Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander voice to government in Australia.
New South Wales
The NSW Coalition of Aboriginal Peak Organisations (NSW CAPO) seeks to change the way government works with Aboriginal services and sector. It is made up of peak Aboriginal community-controlled organisations in NSW, including:
- BlaQ Aboriginal Corporation
- Aboriginal Education Consultative Group (AECG)
- Aboriginal Health and Medical Research Council (AH&MRC)
- Aboriginal Legal Services
- First Peoples Disability Network
- Link up NSW
- NSWALC (NSW Aboriginal Land Council)
- NSW Child, Family and Community Peak Aboriginal Corporation (AbSec)
Aboriginal Peak Organisations Northern Territory (APO NT) is an alliance committed to increasing Aboriginal involvement in policy development and implementation, and to expanding opportunities for Aboriginal community control. The alliance includes:
- Aboriginal Housing NT (AHNT)
- Aboriginal Medical Service Alliance Northern Territory (AMSANT)
- Anindilyakwa Land Council (ALC)
- Central Land Council (CLC)
- North Australian Aboriginal Justice Agency (NAAJA)
- Northern Land Council (NLC)
- Northern Territory Indigenous Business Network (NT IBN)
- Tiwi Land Council (TLC)
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service: ATSILS
- Queensland Aboriginal and Islander Health Council
- Queensland Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Child Protection Peak Limited
- Queensland Indigenous Family Violence Legal Services
The First Nations of SA Aboriginal Corporation (FNSAAC) is the peak body for First Nations across South Australia and is made up of representatives of Prescribed Bodies Corporate (PBCs) and native title groups across the state and have an authoritative voice on issues relating to South Australian Aboriginal people's heritage and well being.
Other State peak organisations include:
- Aboriginal Drug and Alcohol Council
- Aboriginal Family Support Services
- Aboriginal Health Council of South Australia
- Aboriginal Legal Rights Movement
- Aboriginal Sobriety Group
- Family Violence Legal Service Aboriginal Corporation (SA)
- InComPro Cultural Services for Aboriginal People logo
- KWY Aboriginal Corporation
- Kura Yerlo Incorporated
- Mobile Language Team
- Ngarrindjeri Ruwe Empowered Communities
- Ngaanyatjarra Pitjantatjara Yankunytjatjara Women's Council
- Nunga Mi:Minar
- Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc
- Nunyara Aboriginal Health Service Inc.
- Pangula Mannamurna Aboriginal Corporation
- Port Lincoln Aboriginal Health Service
- First Nations of South Australia Aboriginal Corporation
- South Australian Aboriginal Education and Training Consultative Council
- South Australian Stolen Generations Aboriginal Corporation
- Tauondi Aboriginal College
The Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre represents the political and community development aspirations of the Tasmanian Aboriginal community.
The Federation of Victorian Traditional Owners Corporations is the Victorian state-wide body that convenes and advocates for the rights and interests of Traditional Owners while progressing wider social, economic, environmental and cultural objectives. Members include:
- Bunurong Land Council Aboriginal Corporation
- Eastern Maar Aboriginal Corporation
- First Peoples of the Millewa Mallee Aboriginal Corporation
- Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation
- Wurundjeri Woi-wurrung Cultural Heritage Council
Other State peak organisations include:
- Aboriginal Advancement League
- Aboriginal Community Elders Services Inc (ACES)
- Aboriginal Housing Victoria
- Koorie Youth Council
- Loddon Mallee Aboriginal Reference Group
- Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency
- Victorian Aboriginal Community Services Association Ltd
- Victorian Aboriginal Corporation for Languages
- Victorian Aboriginal Education Association Incorporated
- Victorian Aboriginal Health Service
- Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service
The Council of Aboriginal Services Western Australia (CASWA) aims to strengthen and increase the capacity of WA Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations involved in service delivery to Aboriginal people in WA.
Other State peak organisations include:
- Aboriginal Health Council Western Australia
Regional Organisations / First Nations collectives
Kimberley Land Council (Kimberley region); Native Title Services Goldfields (Goldfields region); Yamatji Marlpa Aboriginal Corporation (Geraldton and Pilbara regions); South West Aboriginal Land and Sea Council (South West region); Central Desert Native Title Services (Central Desert region).
Service providers and community organisations
There are various health, housing, law/justice, etc. First Nations service providers around Australia.
Examples of large First Nations corporations in Western Australia are provided below with service themes:
Employment, education and training - eg. Ashburton Aboriginal Corporation; Gumala Aboriginal Corporation; Kununurra Waringarri Aboriginal Corporation; Marninwarntikura Women's Resource Centre; Midwest Employment & Economic Development Aboriginal Corporation; Murujuga Aboriginal Corporation; Ngarliyarndu Bindirri Aboriginal Corporation; Nirrumbuk Aboriginal Corporation; Wilinggin Aboriginal Corporation; Winun Ngari Aboriginal Corporation; Wirlu-Murra Yindjibarndi Aboriginal Corporation.
Health care and health promotion - eg. Broome Regional Aboriginal Medical Service; Carnarvon Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation; Derbarl Yerrigan Health Service Aboriginal Corporation; Derby Aboriginal Health Service Council Aboriginal Corporation; Milliya Rumurra Aboriginal Corporation; Moorditj Koort Aboriginal Corporation; Ngangganawili Aboriginal Community Controlled Health and Medical Services Aboriginal Corporation; Ngnowar-Aerwah Aboriginal Corporation; Ord Valley Aboriginal Health Service Aboriginal Corporation; Puntukurnu Aboriginal Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation; South-West Aboriginal Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation; Wirraka Maya Health Service Aboriginal Corporation; Yorgum Healing Services Aboriginal Corporation; Yulella Aboriginal Corporation; Yura Yungi Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation.
Community services, housing and tenancy, municipal services, tourism - eg. Djarindjin Aboriginal Corporation; Garnduwa Amboorny Wirnan Aboriginal Corporation; Kalumburu Aboriginal Corporation; Kullarri Regional Communities Indigenous Corporation; Marra Worra Worra Aboriginal Corporation; Paupiyala Tjarutja Aboriginal Corporation; Pilbara Meta Maya Regional Aboriginal Corporation; The PKKP Aboriginal Corporation; Tjiwarl; Western Australian Family Violence Prevention Legal Service Aboriginal Corporation; Western Desert Puntukurnuparna Aboriginal Corporation; Wungening Aboriginal Corporation.
Land and waters management—caring for country, cultural heritage, mining - eg. Banjima Native Title Aboriginal Corporation; Buurabalayji Thalanyji Aboriginal Corporation; Dambimangari Aboriginal Corporation; Jamukurnu-Yapalikurnu Aboriginal Corporation; Karlka Nyiyaparli Aboriginal Corporation; Palyku-Jartayi Aboriginal Corporation; South West Aboriginal Land & Sea Council Aboriginal Corporation; Wintawari Guruma Aboriginal Corporation; Yamatji Marlpa Aboriginal Corporation; Yawoorroong Miriuwung Gajerrong Yirrgeb Noong Dawang Aboriginal Corporation; Yindjibarndi Aboriginal Corporation; Yawuru Native Title Holders Aboriginal Corporation; Yinhawangka Aboriginal Corporation.